Interested in alpacas? We would love to spend some time with you, whether you just want to visit with our alpacas or if you are looking to add to your farm or perhaps start a farm, we are here to help you. Please visit our Openherd site for any purchasing information. If any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Our First Ribbons

Alpaca Royale was hosting the 2012 American Fiber Rally - their first AOBA Certified Alpaca Fleece Show, so I figured why not, it was their first show and it was my first time skirting a fleece to mail into a fleece show so why not try this one.

I carefully skirted Cosmo, Zinnia and Masquerades blanket fleeces as described in the AOBA handbook guidelines.  Being this was my first time I am sure there is a lot to learn on how to do it better.   I registered and submitted my fleeces via mail as instructed on the American Fiber rally website.

Now all I had to do was sit and wait for the show and then for my fleeces to be mailed back to me.  The dates for the show were June 21-22, 2012; I received my fleece back on June 27th; when I opened the box there they were!





 Zinnias fleece took third out of 5 with the Judge noting that her fleece had "good character and above average fleece weight".






Cosmos fleece took fourth out of 6 with the Judge noting "Excellent fineness and uniformity".





And last but not least, Masquerades fleece took fourth out of 4 with the Judge noting "consistent in Micron across blanket".




You have 380 days from the date of shearing to submit fleeces for showing.  I will continue to submit these fleeces to a few of the upcoming shows to see where they place and what comments the Judges may have.  Any information I can gather will only continue to help me learn.

I am so proud of my three "kids".

No comments:

Post a Comment