Interested in alpacas? We would love to spend some time with you, whether you just want to visit with our alpacas or if you are looking to add to your farm or perhaps start a farm, we are here to help you. Please visit our Openherd site for any purchasing information. If any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Breakthrough with Ivy....

What a wonderful Christmas present for me!

We have had our alpacas for going on 2 months now.  We have been able to get close to both of the crias - Zinnia and Cosmo.  We however, have not been able to really "touch" the mommies.  They would pull away whenever we tried - Sunflower kicks out at us and Ivy runs.

When we have been giving them their grain my husband and I would try to sneak a touch on Sunflower or Ivy's backs.  Well, to my surprise, this morning when I tried to touch Ivy she did back up but came right back to the feed.  I again tried to rub her back and she stayed a little longer before moving away.  The third time I tried she stayed and let me.  When she finished the grain in her feeder she came up to me because I still had the scoop in my hand.  She was getting a "special" treat from the scoop and with that she let me rub her neck the whole time.  I guess since I was letting her have a "treat" she decided to finally let me have one.

I just love surprises like that!

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful surprise. Now if Sunflower would just cooperate.........

    ReplyDelete